aceartinc. has identified the desire in the province’s contemporary arts community for an alternative learning space to explore contemporary art modes, ideas, and criticality, and their applications to individual practices.
This idea has been reached via discussions with aceartinc. members, Fine Art undergraduates, graduates, art writers, arts administrators, and emerging artists who have and have not attended academic institutions,
The Cartae Open School will provide opportunities in the form of peer to peer learning, studio visits/workshops from ace’s exhibiting artists, screenings, workshops, artist talks, and input from our sister Artist-Run Centres. Some elements of a curriculum are already in place (such as our exhibiting artists workshops and partnerships with other organisations) but others will be student-led such as workshops and the opportunity to program artist talks and screenings. The curriculum will be responsive to the students’ interests and enthusiasms.
School starts 13th November 2014 and finishes on the 30th June 2015.
How To Apply
There are 4 places available.
Each student will attend a monthly meeting with each other and the Cartae Committee.
Each student will run one workshop, attend workshops, attend talks, participate in the programming of screenings and talks, and receive studio visits from visiting artists.
Students will share a 500 sqft studio from December 2014 – June 2015.
The fee is $500 per student and contributes to the cost of the studio and artist fees.
To apply please submit the following:
1. Why do you want to be part of Cartae? What will you bring to it? What do you hope to gain from it? 500 words.
2. Describe a workshop you would run. Topics can be wide ranging and should encompass an element of skill-sharing. For example how best to make stop frame animation or the ways of applying post-modernist theory to your practice.
3. Please provide a portfolio of up to 10 images and/or up to 2000 words.
4. Artist statement up to 500 words.
5. Please provide a visual or written description of the potential you see in the studio. We welcome imaginative interpretations of this.
Email digital submissions in PDF format only to: [email protected].
Create two separate PDF files: one consisting of parts 1, 2, 4, and 5. The other file will consist of your support materials (part 3). Label the files with your full name.
aceartinc. is MAC compatible only.
You may include up to 10 images presented as one PDF document.
Individual images must be jpegs 72dpi, 1024 x 768 pixel, 500k (.5 MB) RGB or SRGB only. Images that are larger than this will not be viewed.
No PowerPoint please.
Video may be submitted through a link to Vimeo, YouTube or any other easily accessed website. See below for additional clarification regarding each part of the submission package.
Audio is accepted in MP3, WAV or AIFF format only.
At this time we can only accept submissions in English.
Important application dates
12 August Deadline
9-13 September Notice and schedule given
- Orientation 5-7pm,
- Listen documentary screening in partnership with GroundSwell 7-8.30pm
- 8.30-9 led discussion
27-30 November Build studios
1 December Move into studios
TBC December Student programmed artist talk